[Tech1] Can I take you back to the summer of 1986...? (photo ident question)

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Thu Jan 3 16:52:01 CST 2019

Tell me if I have remembered this wrong: I seem to recall that Beta SP had, in addition to the linear analogue edge tracks, a two channel FM track with flying heads on the drum. As I recall too, the edit controller had a feature that played the linear tracks (for scrubbing) until the drum was at speed and in lock picture-wise, then switched. Those FM tracks were very much better than the linear tracks.
Confirm or shoot me down in flames.

The reasons why Digibeta bodies suddenly plummeted in price were twofold. Firstly, in the booming Corporate World at least, clients previously used to hiring freelancers with Beta SP, universally said “Oh yes, by all means shoot it on Digibeta - but we won’t pay any more for it”. Sony clearly decided it would be better to sell more for less. Then, to fill the medium budget market, They produced Beta SX at well below the cost of a Digibeta.

Digibeta and Beta SX were sold to some facilities companies at a knockdown price, at the same time buying back their Beta SP to crush them, thereby taking them out of circulation. Much of my work then and since has been for CBS News, who I was told took delivery of around 500 Beta SX bodies for bureaux and stringers around the World on that basis. When HD and obligatory 16x9 came along, guess where those SX bodies went. Knowing what format to buy and when has always been a quandary for freelancers.

Re- DAT machines. I never got to try a Fostex PD4, but it was in 1986 that I bought a Sony PCM2000 DAT machine. That too, had an FM track for timecode. I remember thinking at the time that it would never last as long as the superbly engineered Nagras. But it did. I still have it, looking like new, and it still works perfectly. One good feature it has is a manual/auto tracking adjustment feature that made it able to reliably play tapes recorded on other machines. At a cost then of £4200 it wasn’t cheap, but it well and truly earned its keep. Unlike some other machines, it uses NP1 batteries which are still available. Another brownie point for Sony!
Cheers,
Nick.
Sent from my iPad