[Tech1] Springwatch

Bernard Newnham bernie833 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:18:45 CDT 2018

Training comes from many different places these days. I recently wrote
this for the ITTP -

It’s a very British story, usually told about inventors, but maybe also
about innovators.....

We had an idea, a really good idea. We took it around to show people –
the meeting rooms of the big TV players, exhibition stands to talk to
the smaller companies and others. All the big boys and girls - and the
small ones - said "Great stuff, you should do this - make it happen".
"We will, we said, we will - we really think it needs doing, as do you.
Ummm - just one tiny thing - we could do with some money to get started.
Not very much at all in terms of your profits, you won't even notice......"

.........And that's where we ground to a halt.

What we had suggested was that the technical end of the UK tv industry
needs to set some basic standards for newcomers. Just like, in the wider
world, the accountants, and the plumbers and the pharmacists, and,
and.......

Not overly original, but in the technical end of modern TV making,
ground breaking.

Once upon a time, long long ago, people destined for cameras, sound,
engineering etc, in the UK tv industry learned at the BBC. It's still a
badge of competence - "What Evesham course were you on?" Not quite a
secret society, no obscure handshakes, but an instant camaraderie, and a
reasonable guarantee that the person you're speaking to has passed
through a system that made sure they have a competent way of working. An
understanding of their area of work that means that the job gets done
properly. Evesham is still there - I think – but training has long ago
passed to a legion of universities and other training establishments.
There’s good, bad and indifferent – what there isn’t is an accepted set
of standards for the leavers to reach.

A while back a group of us got together and formed the ITTP – the
Institute for Training in Television Production. We asked - “Has anyone
else noticed that incomers don’t have the basics any more?” “Oh yes!”,
said everyone. “Ohms Law, what’s that?” said students. So we worked on
it, and it lead to the ITTP Approved Skills Scheme – basically a list of
the skills needed from starters. Nothing fancy, nothing that someone who
had done 14 weeks at BBC Evesham wouldn’t have – and someone after three
years at university really, really should have. You can find the list on
line – _http://www.tech-ops.co.uk/ittp/as.pdf_. It was put together with
a lot of help from current practitioners, and we regard it as work in
progress. TV changes, technology changes, and so should the standards
for newcomers.

Training comes from many places these days. The Approved Skills Scheme
doesn’t care, any more than the driving test examiner. At the end of
training each starter would pass appropriate theory and practical tests
and then receive accreditation that any potential employer can accept.
Just like the accountants, plumbers, pharmacists, electricians etc etc.
Universities love the idea, just like the employers. Something that they
can work to. It just needs money to develop.

Now, finally, just possibly, there’s a chance of advancement. The IMIS,
once the BKSTS, has offered some possibilities, maybe a way to get this
done. It just a pity that the big industry players – those who will
benefit – haven’t put their money where their mouths are.

Bernard Newnham 20/05/2018