[Tech1] car stuff

Chris Woolf chris at chriswoolf.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 10:51:16 CST 2018

Yup, that does look very "watery".  I've had a bit to do with
horticultural machinery that frequently sits unused for many months, and
seen exactly that sort of deposit. I think its a mixture of
condensation, dissolved water, and leaching from the various hoses and
joints - pretty unpleasant stuff that normally just gets sucked through
in a constantly used machine.

Daft that they glued the gasket on - one of their selling points is that
the joint is above float level, and therefore not prone to leaks. Or is
that the gasket is a sized paper type that has deteriorated and formed
its own glue when in contact with petrol and/or water?

Chris Woolf

On 16/12/2018 15:04, Bernard Newnham via Tech1 wrote:
> Well, it looks very likely that water is the problem. Having taken the
> carb off the engine I turned it upside down outside to empty the float
> chambers.  A lot of brown liquid came out.
>
> I've taken the top off now - although in the YouTube videos this looks
> easy, the manufacturer had helpfully glued the gasket on to mine,
> which made removal both difficult and messy, and has cost me the price
> of a new gasket set from Rimmer. In the videos the thing comes off
> clean, but I've spent half the morning scraping, and will have to do a
> load more work to make sure I didn't drop bits into the system. You
> can see the inside of one of the float chambers below - still brown.

---