[Tech1] Nuisance phone calls

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Thu Apr 26 06:02:48 CDT 2018

Here’s a perspective on nuisance phone calls that you might not have thought of:
About fifteen years ago, my younger son, who sadly, wasn’t living with me and my present wife at the time, got into the wrong company and ended up heavily addicted to whatever class A drugs he could get hold of. He was at the absolute depths of hopelessness. He went through detox and rehab several times, at crippling cost to us, but against all odds, he eventually came through it with a predicted 20% chance of staying ‘clean’. Still in a very precarious state of health, he got a job in a call centre.

Call centre employment was fiercely competitive, with sales targets that had to be met, and cash penalties or the sack if you didn’t. As it happens, he has the gift of the gab, and did well, selling all of the things you know about. He was one of countless others in the same situation as himself. Without doubt, that call centre saved his life. He had friends there who haven’t survived.

It’s because of those targets and penalties that I suggest to you: don’t try and be a smart-ass wasting the caller’s time. He/she almost certainly doesn’t like it any more than you do. Just hang up and let them call the next number on the task list.

As it turned out, it was a turning point for him, and now, ten years on, he’s doing well, married to a lawyer; has his own landscape gardening business, and now has two gorgeous little boys of his own.

Now before you go, can I interest you in some 45% discount double-glazing?

Regards to all,
Nick.
Sent from my iPad